Windsor Guardian Self Storage Moving Tips
Using these storage tips will help ensure a trouble-free packing and storage experience.
- Make a list of what you intend to store. This will help you to plan what packing supplies you will need, such as boxes, packing paper, and tape. Keep this list to serve as a reminder of what you have stored.
- Calculate the value of everything in storage. You will need this to ensure you get adequate insurance for your things while they are in storage.
- Have blankets, draperies and out-of-season clothing cleaned, then pack them on hangers in a wardrobe box. Using wardrobe boxes to store clothes will avoid permanent creasing.
- Pack books flat, not standing on end which may cause damage to the spines. Books are heavy, don’t pack too many in one box. Use fill paper in empty spaces.
- Never over pack boxes. Overfilled boxes may rupture and cause stacked items to topple.
- Label all boxes clearly.
- Lash bed rails together with rope or plastic. As you take beds apart, mark all pieces so you know which goes with which headboard, etc. Place covers on mattresses to keep them clean during moving and storing.
- If you are storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and disassemble to conserve space.
- Cover all furniture with dust sheets or shrink wrap, and wrap table legs to protect them from scratches.
- Wrap fragile items, such as china, pictures, and electronic equipment, in protective packaging such as bubble wrap, filling any gaps in boxes with packing paper. To avoid damage from leaking batteries, be sure to remove batteries from any battery operated items.
- Make sure refrigerators and freezers are defrosted, cleaned, and dry before storing. Tape doors shut while moving. While in storage, where possible, leave the doors open for ventilation and use the space inside for additional storage.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawnmowers and other items with small engines before storing.
- Always use a large or heavy item to form the base of your store and stack the lighter items on top. This may sound obvious, but it is easy to forget and cause accidental damage. Use all the space available, including the height.
- Consider creating a center aisle for access to all items when packing your storage unit.
- Store frequently needed items near the front entrance of your unit.
Warning: DO NOT STORE COMBUSTIBLES OR PERISHABLES!
To protect you and your possessions, do not store such items as old paint, cleaning fluids, corrosives or any flammable liquids, explosives of any kind, bottled gas, gasoline, or other hazardous or illegal substances. Throw away anything that could possibly cause fire. Do not store food in open containers. Do not store any item that could attract rodents or pests.